Monday, May 29, 2006

Diving Off the Twin Sisters


Twin Sisters
Originally uploaded by SmithersJones.
One of the reasons I wanted to go to Carriacou is the diving. There are some fantastic dive sites all very easily accessible. One that I did and want to return to is the the Twin Sisters.

The Twin Sisters are two huge rocks sticking out of the sea south west of Hillsborough bay. The rocks sit on a reef that circle the rocks. On one side I believe it there is a wall going down 40 meters. The wall is suppose to be quite a dive, but reserved for the more advanced diver.

One of the challenges of this dive site is that it is situated out side of the bay and is subject to quite strong currents. I was lucky in that when we went to dive there was little current (still stronger than I had previously experienced so I was at the edge of my abilities). I have to stress the dive company I went with were extremely capable and made sure that I was safe at all times.

The objective was to drop down behind the larger rock follow the reef around until the gap and using the flow just slip through. It was fantastic to be at the base of these giant rocks 6-10 meters under the sea and to see the waves crashing against them.

I would like at this point to list all the sea flora and fauna that I saw but all can say is that I saw lots of coral (soft and hard) and some fish (big ones, little ones, blue ones, multicoloured ones and big man eating ones - alright that last one is made up). The problem is that I realised that once I got under the water that I can't tell one fish from another. But they sure were pretty.

posted by gerbil at 7:53 pm

2 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

No sharks or dolphins?

5/29/2006 11:04 pm  
Blogger gerbil said...

No, sadly not. Although some one i was diving with did see a nurse shark, i sort of missed it.

5/30/2006 5:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home