Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I turned 41 in a Rain Forest

I didn't think about it at the time. My birthday was the day before we left, or so we thought (see rant below), and to be honest it was just another day on holiday. It was only after wards thinking about it that i realised it was quite a good birthday as things go.

We spent the day driving around Grenada and visiting the Grand Etang National Park. My first time in a rain forest. The first hurdle was driving through St George's the capitol of Grenada. The roads are narrow and the drivers are obviously jedi knights (i saw too many people driving with their eyes shut for no other explanation than they were using the force). On top of this I think Grenada has 4 sets of traffic lights and 1 one way system. This is all cramed in to tardis that is St George's. And unless you want to go the long way around you have to go through.

From that point on we drove through some spectatular countryside. So spectatular that J completely forgot to take any photos. I was driving so can avoid blame here. The houses and towns that scatter the 1000ft drops of the valleys as you ascend up in to the clouds defy logic and all sense of planning legislation.


The Little Car We Hired
Originally uploaded by SmithersJones.
It was at this point that i thought to check my fuel, i.e. when there is no sign of a petrol station or the mearest hope of one. Less than a quater of a tank and decreasing. In the blind stupidity that forged the British Empire and provided endless tales of explorers dying increadibly heoric but essentially pointless deaths i ploughed on. My logic was simple. I am going up hill therefore it looks like the car is using more fuel than it is and when i get to the top its all down hill any way so it will use less fuel on the way down.

Getting increasingly higher the towns became scarcer. Eventually the decreasing number of houses evaporate, the road improves and the trees change entirely. All of a sudden you are in the rain forest. The photos I took do it no justice.

It is a fantastic place, made more special by the fact that we seemed to be only visitors. There was a lot of, wow, and oh. Then the coach parties tunrned up. So we left.

Do you know what, i was right about the petrol situation. Any way we then continued up to Greenville, i say up it was all down hill to the petrol station.

Later that evening J treated me to a meal at a restaurant called the "Rhodes" which is owned by Gary Rhodes. To those who don't know him he is a famous TV chef in Britain, bit of a twat but a damn fine chef. Which was rather nice of the old bird really;) I think i'll keep her for a bit longer.

posted by gerbil at 7:08 pm

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it really shaded and three layered like they say? Did you see any parrots or toucans flying around? What about big bugs?

That’s a great way to turn 41, I suppose- I havent made it yet!

5/30/2006 10:48 pm  
Blogger Eddie said...

I would wish you a belated happy 41st birtday, but it looks like you did fine without my msgical wish.

5/31/2006 10:41 am  
Blogger gerbil said...

It was suprisingly deviod of life as far as i can tell. There are suppose to be monkey's there but i never saw them. I have a knack of making wildlife disapear. Its a bit like the diving. On my last dive just as i went to the surface everyone else saw a massive turtle with barnicles on its back etc.

I'm convinced that I go to these places and the wild life is all stood behind me making rude gestures at my back.

I did see a butterfly.....but that was it really:(

5/31/2006 6:11 pm  
Blogger gerbil said...

Thank you ET

5/31/2006 6:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home