Saturday, June 03, 2006

6 Days until the worlds biggest sporting event

It is only 6 days until the worlds biggest sporting event kicks off. The FIFA World Cup kicks of in Germany on the 9th of June. The draw for which teams will play in which groups in the tournament already drew an audience of 28 Million world wide in December 2003 and the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea had total viewing figures of 28.8 Billion.

During this coming month for many people issues such as Iraq, Terriorism and Global Warming will become just back ground music. Many people around the world would struggle to find a problem with with the late Bill Shankey when he said that,
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”
In this country the the build up is starting to dominate. Houses and cars are festonded with the flag of St George. Much of England currently looks like a loyalist houseing estate in Belfast. The country seems to be gripped by the trials and tribulations of a 21 year old potato, Wayne Rooney, upon whose broken metatarsal the fate of this nation appears to rest.

I bring this up in order to say one thing. I DONT CARE!!!!!! I resent the fact that at the moment in this country if i happen to say to another man,
"I'm sorry I don't actually like football,"
I sware this is some how translated to,
"yes, at birth i decided to remove my testicles and puree my brain. My hobbies included eating children and placing babies on spikes. Oh and i want to introduce Islam by force."
I have seen conversations between two reasonably intelligent men derailed in a nano second by the phrase, "No I don't watch football."

It is not abnormal to get no pleasure watching 22 highly overpaid, overacting, moronic prima donnas who haven't even forgotten the meaning of the word sporting. They never knew it. Wanye Rooney, David Beckham etal are NOT fine examples of humanity. They are over grown self indulgent children in who in any other walk of life would be no hopers. But becuase of one percived talent they are venerated like little gods.

The worst of it is that I know that if England do well i will find my self, like i do every time, starting to take an interest and watching the games. But inside i will stand by every word i rant, "Go on my son, Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land....".

posted by gerbil at 8:39 am

7 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

So, your fellow countrymen don't take kindly to non-sports fan eh?
Well, I love those UGA Dawgs!

6/03/2006 1:37 pm  
Blogger gerbil said...

Thats the strange thing I do like sports, esp Rugby, but football just leaves me cold. However, for you'r average male aged between 10-40 across Europe, Africa, South America and many parts of Asia football is an international launguage bordering on a religion. At the international level Wars have been started becuase of it. Whenever England play Germany you would think its a re run of WWII, Argentina the Falklands etc.

I am not kidding when i say the average person in England would pay more attention to Wanye Rooney at the moment than the second, third and fourth coming of christ. Many of them cannot concieve of someone who doesn't care.

6/03/2006 1:58 pm  
Blogger Eddie said...

I might be in big trouble. God knew what He was doing when he hid me in the woods in Georgia.
Now is the time for Tony Blair to be photgraphed with his old football/soccer uniform on, or maybe rubbing elbows with the top athletics of that field.

6/03/2006 2:09 pm  
Blogger gerbil said...

His done that in the early days, here he is with Kevin Keagen (a famous football player)

6/03/2006 3:05 pm  
Blogger Eddie said...

It pays to plan ahead.

6/03/2006 4:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

USA! USA! USA!

Sorry, Gerbil. I just had to throw that in.

6/03/2006 5:31 pm  
Blogger gerbil said...

Right that's it, where's my gun!!!!

6/04/2006 11:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home