Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas Presents

I have been thinking about the kind of Christmas pressies I have been given, and by whom. For example, my beloved got me a watch. That's good, no problem there. She also got me a couple of books, "Talk to the Hand", by Lynn Truss and "The World According to Clarkson" by Jeremy Clarkson.

If you don't know about these books one, "Talk to the Hand" is about the utter bloody rudeness of modern life and Jeremy Clarkson is well renowed right wing, whinging, petrol head. So what is she saying here? What does she really think of me? Hmmm, I think I might not dwell too long on that. Not when you consider my present to her was effectively Wellington boots. In my defence, they were expensive and very high tech Wellington boots. More importantly she had asked for them. But at the end of the day they are Wellington boots.

Another book that I got was the autobiography by John Peel, "Margrave of the Marshes". Again for those who do not know John Peel he was quite probably the most influential DJ of the past 30-40 years. He was a man that I think many men of my generation would have loved to have been. He was a fanatic about music and unlike many DJ's of his generation he didn't get stuck in one decade or one type. He maintained his thirst for new music and because he was genuine he kept his connection to people of all ages.

This came from my brother and because of the conversation we had had before Christmas I think it had more meaning. I had been complaining about the fact that the family had resorted to asking each other what they wanted for Christmas. This takes away the surprise and I was saying that the best present was the one where you opened it, were surprised, and then realised that it was something that you didn't know you wanted. And this was.

More telling was that some one bought the same book for him.

posted by gerbil at 6:06 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home