Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Further Adventures of Giffy

Went for a ride today, in preparation for starting my jumping lessons next week. I think I have said before that the stables are on top of a hill. Now at the moment as any one in this country knows despite the fact its spring there is a very chill wind blowing in from Narnia. At the stables there is still snow on the ground and the wind is coming in straight from Siberia with the only thing in its way being the North Sea. Not what you could describe as warm. The stables are close to Bronte country and as we set off in a full blown Wuthering Heights style tempest I had to question my sanity. First as I say I'm sat on a horse with the coldest of winds coming straight at me at unnatural speeds. It was howling, I swear you could hear the banshee's coming home from St Patricks night. The right side of my face was numb in the -god knows what ever windchill.

But the second reason is I'm sat on Giffy. Giffy is the only horse to have ever thrown me. She is what might you call a wee bit of a spirited mare and she doesn't like going too slow. Today was the first time I rode her since she had the nerve to dismount me. It was fantastic. She hasn't calmed down any and on the canter its a race to the finish as far as she is concerned. The only problem being that the finish in her head is 50 meters further on than every one else's.

J was up front on Herbie, who as an arab is no mean slouch. I was struggling to stay tucked in behind Herbie and J as much as possible fearful that if Giffy saw the open path she would go for it. The first canter was a small one up hill. Herbie set off fine and Giffy, always one for setting off at speed was very close behind.

In fact by this point Giffy realised that Herbie was not going to go as fast as she wanted so instead she decided to buck mid canter. Oh joy, 1st change of underwear required. On the second canter Herbie decided he wasn't going to be shown up and set off like a cartoon animal, all legs and mud. That's all that Giffy needed. For me that's what ridding about; hell for leather along a muddy track with trees and branches whacking in to you, mud flying up from the horse in front and the feeling that death (or his close relative painful injury) is close by. Its like being on a motor bike and opening up the throttle - the only difference being on a bike you have a break. On a horse you have to trust that when it comes to it your horse is going to listen...this time.

She didn't! J shouted that she was slowing down as we neared the end of the canter, although from where I was I saw no break lights on Herbie. Giffy slowed down a tad. As we got to the end, where Herbie did stop, Giffy decide this was fun and carried straight on. This was not helped by the horses in the field next to us who wanted to join in the fun.

I let Giffy go on for a bit more to get past the nutters in the field and then slowed her to a very lively "I want to gallop" trot. J caught up and eventually got back in front as I was doing everything in the book to calm Giffy down. Sitting upright (not leaning forward and grabbing hold of her neck as wanted to do), keeping my hands down low, and trying to relax myself.

That was the heard part because to be honest I was with Giffy that was fantastic. When you are going fast on a horse there is nothing on this earth like it. Now if only I can do that and develop control then I'll call my self a rider.

posted by gerbil at 3:47 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home