Friday, December 30, 2005

Kinder Downfall 2


Kinder Downfall 2
Originally uploaded by Stuart Davies.
The very first walk I did around here was Kinder Scout. One day I was bored and fed up so I jumped in my car and went for a drive. Eventually arriving outside the Snake Pass inn in Derbyshire I parked the car and set off walking. The route, I later found out, was up Fairbrook.

At the time I hadn't been walking since a school trip to the lake district. So the first time I walked this route I was doing so in t-shirt and trainers (it was summer though). Ever since then I have always liked to go back and do it again. As a note to any one who cares if I disappear in a huff it might be worth looking for me some where along this route.

When ever I do it I am reminded why I live where I live. Kinder Scout is only 40 min's away from my house going south. The Lake district is 2 hours north west. While Snowdonia is 2 hours west. The moors of North Yorkshire are 2ish hours north east and the Yorkshire Dales are under 2 hours north.

We think of Britain as a 21st century metropolitan country, and it is. But the majority of the land (80% I think) is agricultural and it also contains some of the most accessible and stunning country side you can find.

The majority of the people however never get to see this. I'm guessing that the majority of them have no desire to see this. I on the other hand couldn't live with out it.

If you do wnat to see more then i have a selection of photos taken on the walk that can be found in the Kinder Scout set on Flickr.

What scares me however is that as house prices rocket the pressure to build on this land increases by the day. But more importantly the over paid twats who decide to buy a nice little cottage in countryside, just for weekends don't you know. If only the Country side alliance were fighting on issues like this and the appaling transport links to the British country side. All of which create a hidden pool of rural poverty. These are the real country side issues not ye olde right to gallop around butchering wildlife.

Before any one says anything I grew up in the country side and I ride so I am not one of those city folk who know nothing of rural affairs.

posted by gerbil at 2:07 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home