Sunday, September 24, 2006

This week I have mainly been listening to..

This week I dug deep and went really retro. Plus I have a confession to make, I like(d) progressive rock. It's true under this facist exterior I'm just an unwashed hippy.

Genesis - Live Apparently a highly rated live album but I now find it niave and a bit schoolboyish. I much prefer Seconds Out as a live album. Still a great dose of stupidity and storytelling for the journey to work. I mean a song about how Gaint Hogweed is taking over the world, it can't get much better.

Led Zepplin - don't think it has a title but its number 4 and the one with the peasent on the front
I never really got in to Led Zepplin as a kid but found it much later. The thing is that even though I never knowingly went out to here it when I finally did all the songs were familiar. How many times since has the When the Levee Breaks been sampled or just plain ripped off. Stairway to Heaven I can never make my mind up about this, classic rock or pompous parody?

Near where I live there is a town called Hebden Bridge. Its very hilly and wooded and in the 70's a lot of hippies moved there. This album always reminds me of it, and i'm guessing there is some one in Hebden Bridge still stuck on an acid trip and still in the 70's. But it does get you going in the morning.

New Model Army - History Ah the 80's, a decade that produced some real crap and some fantastic music. NMA come in the later catagory. Music with a political edge (so much so that America refused them entry to tour). This is a best of album and has some cracking songs on it. No Rest, a song that I had in an EP in the days of vinyl along with Herion (not on this CD) and I think I eventually wore it out. Plus the Green and The Grey. A band that, along with the levellers, plugged into a resurgent English Radiaclism of the 80's which is so lacking now.

JJ Cale - The Very Best Of J.J. Cale The man who taught me not to hate country music quite so much. A guitar player and favourite of Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton etc who was bought up where Counrty music and Blues are more than kissing cousins. I got into him through such tracks as Cocaine, Cajun Moon, Magnolia, After Midnight. I don't no why but it always makes me happy hearing his more blues side and I'm stunned by the fact that so few people have heard of him.

posted by gerbil at 8:20 am

2 Comments:

Blogger iozzi said...

Led Zeppelin 4, ZoSo, or whatever you want to call it is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Here in Sacramento there are a lot of levees protecting many areas of the city (sound familiar). When the Levee Breaks is the song that always comes to mind when the politicians talk about the lack of levee maintenence.

9/26/2006 6:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great perspective on JJ Cale, your site came up on ours as a good music review. Thanks, Abdur co-founder of Summize.

10/20/2007 2:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home